Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Page 9

Some folks buy the news dailies just for Page 3, but I buy it for Page 9.

Arguably, I think The Hindu is one of the better dailies in India. I have become a loyalist of The Hindu after having stuck to Times of India for ahem .. obvious gratifying reasons. Honestly, I feel that the Times of India is not for people who like serious journalism. ToI is more for the misguided souls who like aping the western (de-capitalized on purpose) world.

Well, coming to Page 9 ...

The Hindu publishes it's daily dosage of the Crossword Puzzle on page 9. The Hindu crosword is held as the toughest and the most stimulating of the crosword puzzles published by news dailies. I had to try it to believe it. I started taking a crack at it and began to like it a lot. It serves to keep my mental inertia (After a long day at the office, my body doesn't seem to obey Newton's First Law of motion) at bay. I find it so intriguing that I managed to cajole my roomates into making it a daily affair to crack the crosword puzzle.

Motivated by the destressing that seemed to mushroom out of this daily stint, I did some googling (yes, it is synonymous to reSEARCH) and found this article that lays out the benefits of indulging in such mentally stimulating activities. The atricle claims that such regular mind-games keeps the degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's at bay.

I was even surprised to see that there is a yahoogroup dedicated to the very purpose of circulating the solutions for the day's crosword puzzle in The Hindu.

Well, another thing that pushes me to do this is the desire to embellish my wordrobe....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

try the Indian Express crossword. the Hindu's much easier...

Wed Mar 22, 05:34:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know you would have mastered them as well now !

Given your hectic schedule, are u able to find time for all this ???

Wed Mar 22, 08:17:00 PM 2006  
Blogger ashok said...

i had this obsession with Hindu crosswords at one time...I have solved them completely only 4 0r 5 times...but get close mostly...

Spark mentioned Express crossword...i felt them to be less interesting and tougher (to accept the truth)...sometimes i found that clues in express crosswords are only given so that u dont find the word..and not to help u...sigh*

Wed Mar 22, 08:52:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Nirek said...

I did burnt my fingers earlier trying to fill the crosswords. Now stops with sudoku itself.
Now i know whom to call, if you dont understand a clue in hindu cross word ;)

Thu Mar 23, 02:04:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Ashok : LOL

@Satu : Past tense dude. Dont do it any more. Would like to though !!

Thu Mar 30, 09:12:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home